Best Tea Buns
This recipe makes the most delicious bun that can be varied in lots of different ways. Add sesame seeds, sunflowers, cinnamon crème etc what ever or where ever the moods takes you.
The buns are light and fluffy as the recipe is but to make them even more ‘melt in your mouth’ add a little more butter.
- 6 tbsp water, lukewarm
- 50g fresh yeast or 2 tsp dry yeast (7g)
- 300ml milk
- 50g butter, melted
- 575 g plain flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp cardamom (optional)
- Dissolve the yeast in the lukewarm water
- Add some of the flour followed by sugar and salt. Then mix in the remaining ingredients and mix well together. If the dough remains very sticky add a little more flour. Knead the dough well.
- Form 12 rolls and leave on baking parchment lined baking tray to rise under a dampened clean dish cloth.
- Turn the oven to 225c degrees.
- The rolls will be ready to go into the oven after 25 min.
- Brush with egg to make them extra beautifully shiny.
- Bake for approx 12 min till lovely golden brown. (Tap the bottom, if they sound ‘hollow’ they are done.
Should you wish to add seeds sprinkle these on after the eggs at step no 6.
This recipe can also make ‘cinnamon rolls’ (like the ones sold in the IKEA shop and loved by kids).
- First make a mix of 4 large tbsp butter, 2 tbsp sugar, and 2 tsp cinnamon.
- Form the dough into a long slim rectangle.
- Spread the cinnamon butter mix over the dough.
- Next fold over 1/3 of the one long side and then the same on the other long-side. You should be left with a 3 layered long slim ‘roll’
- Cut this into 2-3 cm pieces and place on a parchment lined baking tray.
- Leave to rest for 25 min and then place in the over as above.
- Depending on size these may only need approx 8-10min baking time.
- Brush with egg and when cooled down a drop of icing will make these irresistible.
Download Best Tea Buns recipe in pdf format (104kb)
Pack of 12 wafer Butterflies, assorted designs and colours,£2.49
Fill it with your favourite goodies for the Easter egg of all Easter eggs.£7.50
Wonderful French wooden baking 'tins'. Available in 3 sizes.
Soft peach honeycomb tissue paper ball. 12, 20 or 30cm in diameter.
A romantic post box that makes an extraordinary centrepiece.£13.00