Crunchy Apple and Blackberry Crumble
A favourite dessert any time of the year. In autumn use apples and blackberries. In summer, delicious fruits in season. For an early spring treat, enjoy the first rhubarb. We love the crunchy topping achieved by using muesli and nuts.
This comforting fruit dessert is quick and easy to make. We like to serve our crumble with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream and/or custard.
- 4 medium apples
- 400 grams of blackberries
- 40grams of muscovado sugar
For the crunchy Topping
- 75 grams plain flour
- 150 grams muesli, we use whatever is in the cupboard (mine at the moment it’s a fruit and nut muesli).
- (You may like to use plain oats. If so, use 100 grams of oats and 50grams of roughly chopped almonds)
- 150 grams of muscovado sugar
- 115 grams butter, chopped
- Peel and core apples. Chop apple in to 2-3cm pieces
- Place in an oven proof dish and mix in the blackberries. Sprinkle the fruit with sugar and mix in.
- In a separate bowl mix together the flour, muesli and muscavado sugar. Using your fingertips, rub the butter into the flour mixture until well combined.
- Sprinkle the mixture on top of the fruit mixture. Bake in a preheated oven at 190C for approx 25 minutes until the crumble looks golden and the lovely fruit juices are bobbling through to the topping.
Optional: if making rhubarb crumble, try adding some grated and powder ginger to the crumble topping. For your apple or plumb crumble why not try adding a teaspoon of cinnamon to the topping.
Download Crunchy Apple and Blackberry Crumble recipe in pdf format (121kb)
100% biodegradable wooden spoons, great for all occasions. Makes a welcome change to plastic. In packs of 25, 50 or 100's
Stylish and unique canapé 'boats' made from pine shavings to use for your party snacks. 10 in a pack.£2.75
Great bamboo deli sticks..use it for everything. 20 in a bag£2.45