Festive Layer Cake
What a birthday treat, a homemade beautiful layer cake, bursting with cream and seasonal fruit.
This recipe is based on the classic Victoria sponge and is easy to make.
Make this beautiful layer cake, with thick layers of cream, strawberries or other seasonal fruit and finish off with icing, or more cream, add your favourite cake decorations or more fresh fruit and the all important birthday candles on top.
Festive Layer Cake Ingredients
- 220g caster sugar
- 220g butter, plus extra for greasing
- 4 free-range eggs, beaten
- 220g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp strawberry or raspberry jam
- 600ml/1 pint 2fl oz double cream, whipped
- Icing sugar, to dust
- Preheat the oven to 190°C
Festive Layer Cake Method
- Grease and line one or two 23cm/9in cake tins.
- Beat the sugar and butter together in a bowl until pale and creamy, then gradually add the eggs and vanilla extract. Gently sieve and fold in the flour. Divide the cake mix equally between the two cake tins or if you have got the one tin, add all the mixture.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until cooked through and lightly golden.
- Remove from the oven and turn out onto a wire rack to cool. When cool – assemble.
- To assemble a traditional layer cake, add the fruit to the whipped cream and spread on in between the layers, we occasionally like to add the mixture to the top if choosing not to ice the cake.
If wanting to add the mixture to the top of the cake, finish with grated chocolate on top and decorate with fresh strawberries or other fruit .
Download Festive Layer Cake recipe in pdf format (80kb)
There are no products matching the selection.