Wonderful confetti eggs fit for all parties and people who love surprises!
Just in time for Easter we came across this fabulous and fun idea. Confetti eggs, also know as Cascarones are like mini piñatas for your head. The tradition goes that hollowed out eggs gets broken on the head of a friend, showering them with confetti and good luck.
The etiquette is that the eggs are not thrown but broken by a hand over the head. The hand must come into contact with the other persons head!
We like that idea a lot …twist it a bit and you can turn it into a game..the eggs can be filled with anything from cake sprinkler, paper confetti, bird seed, glitter, poppy seeds, dried lavender etc.
You will need:
- Raw eggs
- Egg dye (either use vinegar and food colouring or acrylic paints)
- Confetti (or a filling of your choice)
- Tissue paper (to be cut into circles)
- PVA Glue
Prepare the egg early (couple of weeks before Easter, this means you will have time to collect lots of eggs in your daily cooking).
- Make a small hole with a needle or baking metal skewer in the egg (around the size of a 5 pence piece). Make the hole at the larger end of the egg if possible.
Make sure you empty all the raw egg out and wash the egg really well. You may need to piece the egg yolk to help it to come out.
Once empty and clean (even adding a little bleach may help to loose any smell). Now leave to dry.
Collect as many as you possibly can…the more the merrier!
- Use dye to color the eggshell (you’ll have to fill the hollow shell with dye to make it stay submerged); allow to dry thoroughly. Or you can paint with acrylic paint or gouache. Allow to dry thoroughly.
- Fill the egg about halfway with confetti (or whatever you decide to put inside). Use a funnel if needed. You can make one by rolling paper into a cone and snipping the top off.
- Cut a piece of tissue paper slightly larger in size than the egg’s hole. Glue the paper to the edges of the hole. Wait to dry and you are ready to party!
Variation on this would be to fill a winner one with gold glitter….
.. or leave one of two raw if you are being very naughty and know your friends very well! Or fill it with jelly…oh dear this could turn into a bit of a messy day but really really fun. Don’t forget to get some great prizes and have change of clothes ready.
Download Confetti Egg craft idea in pdf format (77kb)
Gorgeous lavender in an envelope... a perfect little give away and also makes great wedding confetti.£1.90
Gorgeous Rose petals in an envelope. Great wedding confetti or lovely 'Thank You' present.£1.90
Edible Red Hearts. 68 grams of edible sugar hearts sprinkles.£3.25
60 grams of wonderfully festive and colourful Confetti Cake Sprinkles cake decoration.£3.25